Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Martha and Mary, Part A

 http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/04/bible-women-martha-and-mary.html

Martha and Mary:

Obviously for a person that grew up going to church, and learning the story of Jesus' death and resurrection, these names immediately stood out to me. 

After Mary washed Jesus' feet with her hair, and heard his word, she knew he was the lord of all. When their brother Lazarus became sick, Mary and Martha knew that Jesus was the only answer to heal him. When they asked Jesus to heal Lazarus, he obviously loved them, so he went to make a miracle and heal him. Jesus disciples pointed out that it was the middle of the night, and they should not make that journey yet. But, Jesus knowing he needed to save Lazarus, told them that they would make the trek through the night, and wake up Lazarus if need be. I think I would be ok with Jesus waking me up in the middle of the night to perform a miracle and save my life!

But, there was a misunderstanding. Jesus, when speaking of "sleep" was actually speaking of death. Lazarus had already died, and Jesus would resurrect him. By the time Jesus arrived to the tomb, Lazarus had been dead for four days already. Jesus went to console Mary and Martha, and Martha states that she knew her brother would not have died if he had been there, but she knew that he knew what was best. Then, Jesus says, "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" This is where Martha puts her full trust in Jesus, and acknowledges that he is the Lord. 

Then, Jesus went to Lazarus' tomb, where Mary was weeping outside. Jesus knew that Lazarus had been dead for four days, but prayed to his father to resurrect him. Jesus told Lazarus to come forth, and Lazarus rose from his tomb, and came to Jesus and Mary. After seeing this miracle, Mary knew just like her sister, that Jesus was the lord.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction- Haley Weger

Hi! I'm Haley Weger and I am a senior this year, graduating in May. I'm from a suburb of Houston, called Friendswood. My parents just bought a house on a small island near Galveston, so the next time I go home I will be living there. I am a Journalism major, on the broadcast track, with a minor in Human Relations. The best part about my major is that I am involved in our student-run newsroom through Gaylord, so I get real-life practice being on camera. I have the chance to learn all of the ropes and exactly how a real newsroom is run before I graduate! Outside of my classes and OU Nightly, I am also involved in greek life and the OU spirit program. I am starting my fourth year on the OU Pom Squad, and am also a member of Tri Delta. I also work at Ada High School on the side, teaching their pom squad. Right now my favorite TV shows I'm watching are Yellowstone and Ozark, but my all time favorites are New Girl and Friends. In the future, I would like to become a news or sport

Comment Wall

Portfolio:  https://sites.google.com/view/hbweger/home Blogger Meme

Reading Notes: Martha and Mary- Part B

  http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/04/bible-women-martha-and-mary.html Mary and Martha: I actually did the stories out of order this week, starting with the actual part B for Tuesday's reading, and going backwards for this one. This reading is much shorter, so I will not have as many notes on this one. Mary and Martha are very prominent characters in the bible, as Mary is the one that weeps next to Jesus tomb (which she later finds out is empty because he has resurrected from the tomb.) In this particular short story, Mary and Martha are meeting Jesus for the first time. This story is from the Gospel of Luke. Mary and Martha are sisters from Bethany, which is why Mary is commonly known as "Mary from Bethany." Mary is also assumed to be Mary Magdalene, who is the woman in the bible that wept next to Jesus' tomb. When Jesus and his disciples came through the village in Bethany, they stopped in Martha's home. Martha gladly took Jesus into her home. During this t