Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Martha and Mary- Part B

 http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/04/bible-women-martha-and-mary.html

Mary and Martha:

I actually did the stories out of order this week, starting with the actual part B for Tuesday's reading, and going backwards for this one. This reading is much shorter, so I will not have as many notes on this one.

Mary and Martha are very prominent characters in the bible, as Mary is the one that weeps next to Jesus tomb (which she later finds out is empty because he has resurrected from the tomb.) In this particular short story, Mary and Martha are meeting Jesus for the first time. This story is from the Gospel of Luke. Mary and Martha are sisters from Bethany, which is why Mary is commonly known as "Mary from Bethany." Mary is also assumed to be Mary Magdalene, who is the woman in the bible that wept next to Jesus' tomb.

When Jesus and his disciples came through the village in Bethany, they stopped in Martha's home. Martha gladly took Jesus into her home. During this time, it was common for the owner of the house to wash their visitors feet. This was seen as a honor to get to was your guests feet. Martha lived with Mary, and Mary came to wash Jesus' feet with her hair. While Mary washed his feet, he told her his word. 

Martha felt like she was serving her visitors all alone, and essentially doing all of the work. She asked Jesus if it bothered him that she was doing everything. She pretty much tattled on her sister, telling Jesus that Mary should be doing more to help her serve. She asks Jesus to have Mary help her serve. Jesus sees that this really bothers Martha, but does not agree with her. He tells her that he knows she is troubled by this, and it angers her. But, he also says that Mary has chosen a good path, and it would be selfish of Martha to take that away from her.

Martha and Mary's home that Jesus came to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction- Haley Weger

Hi! I'm Haley Weger and I am a senior this year, graduating in May. I'm from a suburb of Houston, called Friendswood. My parents just bought a house on a small island near Galveston, so the next time I go home I will be living there. I am a Journalism major, on the broadcast track, with a minor in Human Relations. The best part about my major is that I am involved in our student-run newsroom through Gaylord, so I get real-life practice being on camera. I have the chance to learn all of the ropes and exactly how a real newsroom is run before I graduate! Outside of my classes and OU Nightly, I am also involved in greek life and the OU spirit program. I am starting my fourth year on the OU Pom Squad, and am also a member of Tri Delta. I also work at Ada High School on the side, teaching their pom squad. Right now my favorite TV shows I'm watching are Yellowstone and Ozark, but my all time favorites are New Girl and Friends. In the future, I would like to become a news or sport

Comment Wall

Portfolio:  https://sites.google.com/view/hbweger/home Blogger Meme