Skip to main content

Week 6 Story: Aladdin and the Magic Lamp

Aladdin was the son of a poor tailor, who worked hard, but did not make much money for his family. No mater how hard the tailor tried, he could not get his son Aladdin to learn any skills. He was an idle boy, and spent his days playing in the street with other idle boys like him. When his father died, his mother begged and weeped for Aladdin to learn some skill to support the family, but her cries did not work. Aladdin was stuck in his ways, and had no skills.

One day, Aladdin was met by a strange man, claiming to be his uncle. This newfound uncle was a famous African magician, and claimed to be his late father's brother. Aladdin brought the great news of the new family member to his mother, who thought her late husband's brother was dead. Aladdin and his mother welcomed the uncle into their home, and he was so happy to be surrounded by family again.

When the uncle learned that Aladdin had no skills, he offered to front him a shop and fill it with many different things for Aladdin to sell, to be able to take care of his family. He dressed Aladdin in the nicest clothes, and took him all around the big city to show him the beautiful sights. He told Aladdin of a magical journey he was going to take him on- to a whole new world. They went beyond the city, to a valley on the countryside. There, the uncle made a fire, and threw magical dust on it, casting a spell. There appeared a ring out of the fire, attached to a stone. As the ring hovered over the fire, Aladdin was horrified and tried to run away. His uncle forced him to stay, and told Aladdin to obey him, because there was treasure at hand if he did. Just the word treasure made Aladdin excited enough to stay with his crazy magical uncle. 

Next, Aladdin was given strict instructions to enter a cave and fetch a lamp. He was to go through many secret passageways, and the magic lamp would be at the end. His uncle gave him a secret ring, to be able to conquer the journey ahead, and get entrance through the secret passageways. When he found the lamp, his uncle called from outside the cave to give it to him, but Aladdin refused. His uncle angrily cast another spell upon the fire, closing the entrance to the cave. It turns out that he was not Aladdins uncle, but instead a greedy, sneaky magician who lured Aladdin into the journey to retrieve the lamp, and give the uncle magic powers. 

Aladdin was stuck inside the cave for 2 days, crying out for help. Finally, on the third day he put the ring in between his hands, and prayed that somebody would let him out. As he rubbed the ring between his hands, a genie appeared from the magic lamp. The genie told Aladdin that he would grant him anything that he wished for.

Author's Note: This story is based off of Aladdin 1, in the series of 6 stories about Aladdin. Most of the details from the story are the same as the original, including characters and overall plot. I made this story into my own, with my own writing and take on the original. I highlighted what I thought were the most important parts of the story, and left a few parts out, mainly in the climax of the story, when Aladdin is stuck in the cave. 

Bibliography: This story is part of the Arabian Nights unit. Story source: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).



Comments

  1. Hello!
    I liked your retelling of the Aladdin. If I make a nit-picky suggestion? Near the beginning of the story, you mention how Aladdin is an idle boy, which is a fair description, but in the same sentence, you say the other children are idle as well. Try not to use the same word near each other especially when describing someone. It comes off as lazy or unsure of your writing, which I'm sure isn't what you intended. This can be fixed by using the site Thesaurus.com. Believe I use this all the time. This is a rule I sometimes struggle to remember as well. Also, your story would look more cohesive if you used letters instead of numbers for the days. Other than that, I really like what you did with the story.

    I hope this helps, and I can't wait to see what else you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I really enjoyed your version of Aladdin I like how you made Aladdin an idle boy who really didn't want to do anything and that his father died not able to make his son interested in obtaining any skills. I was surprised that his "Uncle" came out of nowhere but I thought that it fit the story nicely. It was very enjoyable to read and I like that it was familiar but different at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction- Haley Weger

Hi! I'm Haley Weger and I am a senior this year, graduating in May. I'm from a suburb of Houston, called Friendswood. My parents just bought a house on a small island near Galveston, so the next time I go home I will be living there. I am a Journalism major, on the broadcast track, with a minor in Human Relations. The best part about my major is that I am involved in our student-run newsroom through Gaylord, so I get real-life practice being on camera. I have the chance to learn all of the ropes and exactly how a real newsroom is run before I graduate! Outside of my classes and OU Nightly, I am also involved in greek life and the OU spirit program. I am starting my fourth year on the OU Pom Squad, and am also a member of Tri Delta. I also work at Ada High School on the side, teaching their pom squad. Right now my favorite TV shows I'm watching are Yellowstone and Ozark, but my all time favorites are New Girl and Friends. In the future, I would like to become a news or sport

Comment Wall

Portfolio:  https://sites.google.com/view/hbweger/home Blogger Meme

Week 2 Story: Fluffy and his Sticks

 Once upon a time, a mother dog had three little puppies. Those puppies names were Princess, Spot, and Fluffy. Princess and Spot had all of the toys they could possibly think of, as well as every treat on the planet to enjoy. They were cute puppies, but they were quite greedy. Fluffy on the other hand, was perfectly content playing with a stick, sock, or leftover water bottle. One day, the mother dog headed to Petsmart to pick up some things for the dogs' upcoming week. She asked each one of her puppies if they needed anything from the store. Princess and Fluffy named all kinds of new toys, treats, and top shelf dog food they wanted their mother to buy. They listed different Petsmart items for hours, while Fluffy sat playing with her stick. She was unbothered by her brother and sister's greediness. After the mother dog had enough of hearing Princess an Spot's demands, she turned to Fluffy. All Fluffy asked for was three new sticks, of course if it wasn't a burden on her