Skip to main content

Reading B: Hans and the Hedgehog

 There was a man who had a bunch of money and land. But, he wasn't happy because he didn't have children. He went into the town and people mocked him because he didn't have kids. He got angry and said, "I will have a child, even if it be a hedgehog." His wife had a child that was part hedgehog and part boy and she blamed her husband for bringing them bad luck. They named him Hans the Hedgehog. 

He went to get christened but couldn't go into a normal bed because of his spikes. So, they put him on top of straw on the stove. They could not do anything with him without getting pricked, so he just laid there for 8 years. He father was tired of him and wished he would die, but he did not. 

There was a fair in town and the peasant's wife asked him to bring her meat and white rolls. The servant asked for a pair of slippers and some stockings with clocks. The hedgehog asked for bagpipes. He went to the store, and came back with all of the things everybody requested. And when Hans the Hedgehog had the bagpipes, he said, "Dear father, do go to the forge and get the cock shod, and then I will ride away and never come back again." His father was so happy he was going to get rid of him. 

The hedgehog got on and rose away but took pigs and donkeys with him, intending to keep them in the forest. He got to the forest and made the chicken fly into a tree with him, where they sat and watched the animals grow big without his father knowing. He played his bagpipes in the tree. 

One day a King was walking by and heard the music. He looked around and was confused because all he saw was the chicken and hedgehog, and he didn't know where the music was coming from. Hans came down from the tree and said he would show the way if the King would write a bond and promise him whatever he first met in the royal courtyard as soon as he arrived at home.

The King thought he could easily do that because Hans wouldn't understand, so he could write whatever he wanted. The King wrote something and when he was finished, Hans the Hedgehog showed him home.

Bibliography:  Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm

(Illustration by Otto Ubbelohde)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction- Haley Weger

Hi! I'm Haley Weger and I am a senior this year, graduating in May. I'm from a suburb of Houston, called Friendswood. My parents just bought a house on a small island near Galveston, so the next time I go home I will be living there. I am a Journalism major, on the broadcast track, with a minor in Human Relations. The best part about my major is that I am involved in our student-run newsroom through Gaylord, so I get real-life practice being on camera. I have the chance to learn all of the ropes and exactly how a real newsroom is run before I graduate! Outside of my classes and OU Nightly, I am also involved in greek life and the OU spirit program. I am starting my fourth year on the OU Pom Squad, and am also a member of Tri Delta. I also work at Ada High School on the side, teaching their pom squad. Right now my favorite TV shows I'm watching are Yellowstone and Ozark, but my all time favorites are New Girl and Friends. In the future, I would like to become a news or sport

Comment Wall

Portfolio:  https://sites.google.com/view/hbweger/home Blogger Meme

Week 2 Story: Fluffy and his Sticks

 Once upon a time, a mother dog had three little puppies. Those puppies names were Princess, Spot, and Fluffy. Princess and Spot had all of the toys they could possibly think of, as well as every treat on the planet to enjoy. They were cute puppies, but they were quite greedy. Fluffy on the other hand, was perfectly content playing with a stick, sock, or leftover water bottle. One day, the mother dog headed to Petsmart to pick up some things for the dogs' upcoming week. She asked each one of her puppies if they needed anything from the store. Princess and Fluffy named all kinds of new toys, treats, and top shelf dog food they wanted their mother to buy. They listed different Petsmart items for hours, while Fluffy sat playing with her stick. She was unbothered by her brother and sister's greediness. After the mother dog had enough of hearing Princess an Spot's demands, she turned to Fluffy. All Fluffy asked for was three new sticks, of course if it wasn't a burden on her